Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The House of Gaudí

"We have given this academic title either to a fool or a genius. Time will tell." - The Director of Barcelona Architecture School

My first day in Barcelona allowed me to witness first-hand a Catalan team that has catapulted Barcelona to the forefront of the sporting world. But they're not all Catalan, with the most gifted of the lot being Argentine. So, for my last day there, I was very happy to experience the work of a certified Catalan genius.

Antoni Gaudí is the most well-known of the Modernista architects - La Sagrada Familia being the most famous of his works. I saw the church from the outside, as well as drove by La Pedrera and Casa Batlló during my four days there. But it was La Mercè time and all the ticketed attractions had queues miles long.

Park Güell - Gaudí's unfinished housing complex for the industrialist Güell - is free admittance and allowed me to walk in without losing any time. Also, it contains the house Gaudí lived in for the last 20 years of his life. The house itself was not built by Gaudí, if I understand correctly, but contains much furniture he designed himself. (Apart from being a devout Catholic (maybe because) he was also apparently a control freak and had a hand in the minutest details of his work.)

Now, I don't know the words to describe architecture, so I will instead post pictures of the park (the first 5 pictures are of the park and not of his house) as well as the interior of his house. I hope my amateurish photography on a cell-phone camera will not detract too much from the fairy-tale beauty and strangeness of the fantastic Senyor Gaudí.
















The Trip

No comments: